WHY SHOULD I TAKE TREATMENT FOR BACK PAIN ?
Updated: May 24
Back pain and its facts
- Back pain is the single leading cause of disability worldwide.
- 50% of all working Americans admit they experience back pain symptoms once in each year.
- 80% of the population having back pain symptoms each year.
- 50% worker needs to take health leave from work due to back pain. (American chiropractic association, n.d.)
Common causes of back pain
- Consequences of postural neglect.
- Long time sitting.
- Standing – uneven weight distribution on each leg.
- Lifting heavy weight.
- Pushing or pulling heavy weight.
- Wrongly performed Activities/Exercises.
- Mr. TOM has a back pain science long time and he has Desk job. He needs to sit long hours (6-8 hours/day)
- His salary $25/hour.
- If he usually get 2 episode of back pain each year due to any reason.(Pushing or pulling something or long sitting)
- Each back pain episode – Mr. TOM takes 3 days off so he lose 25*8 =$200
- For 6 days $1200 loss each year.
- If he takes physio treatment Initial visit - $100 Follow up - $70
- Total cost for physio treatment for 10 visits - $ 730
- If he goes to physio every 6 month Total cost is : $1460
WITH BACK PAIN WITH PHYSIOTHERAPY TREATMENT
cost $ 1200 $1460
HEALTH Suffer with pain No pain – Enjoying life
JOB Takes sick leave No sick leave
Strength Decrease back strength Increases back strength
Family Life Disturbed Enjoying Family Life
Tips to prevent back pain
- Maintain a healthy diet and weight.
- Remain active
- Avoid prolonged inactivity or bed rest.
- Warm up or stretch before exercising or physical activities, such as gardening.
- Maintain proper posture.
- Wear comfortable, low-heeled shoes.
- Sleep on a mattress of medium firmness to minimize any curve in your spine.
- Lift with your knees, keep the object close to your body, and do not twist when lifting.
- Work with your doctor of chiropractic to ensure that your computer workstation is ergonomically correct (American chiropractic association, n.d.)
American chiropractic association. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.acatoday.org/Patients/What-is-Chiropractic/Back-Pain-Facts-and-Statistics/Back-Pain-Facts-and-Statistics